About Hartwick Basketball

Oneonta, New York, United States
Hartwick is among the North East’s elite liberal art colleges both academically and athletically. Hartwick has a reputation of academic excellence and offers a most diverse selection of degree programs, with a strong emphasis on a liberal arts education. Our campus is truly beautiful. We are located on a scenic 425-acre site on the northern slopes of New York’s Catskill Mountains, in Oneonta, a town considered by some experts to be among the top ten best college towns in America. Hartwick offers a small college atmosphere; as the student/faculty ratio is 11 to 1, and the average classroom size is 15. Yet we are only 70 minutes from the state capital, Albany, and two and a half hours from New York City. This setting provides an ideal atmosphere academically, athletically, and socially for the aspiring student-athlete. Combine these facts with tremendous facilities, a great schedule, and a major commitment to the basketball program, and you can see why Hartwick basketball has made the final four and is a true Division III Giant! As a member of the Empire 8 Conference, Hartwick competes successfully in one of the premier Division III conferences in the country.

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Meet the Hawks- Freshman Shiva Senthil


Hey, my name is Shiva Senthil and I'm a freshman from Clifton Park, NY which is a suburb of Albany. I attended Catholic Central High School and I'm a business major at Hartwick College. Along with my business major I am considering double majoring in economics and doing a minor in political science. Hartwick College seemed like the perfect fit for me because it has a good educational reputation, it seemed like a place where I would enjoy playing basketball at, and I really liked the coaching staff and the players on the team. It seemed like a place where I could really succeed at and a place that I would enjoy for the next four years.

A little bit about me. I am an absolute gym rat. I love being in the gym and working on all parts of my game. I shoot and dribble every single day and when I say every day, I literally mean it. I'm there whenever I have free time and it’s a priority for me to get in the gym. Over the summer, I shot 1000 shots and did dribbling workout with my brother every day. This took about 4 to 5 hours but in my mind it was worth it.

Outside of basketball, I love being with my friends and family. I'm really close to them and they are a big part of my life. I also like watching sports, movies and TV, and just going out with friends and having a good time. I am also a huge Yankee fan and I was so mad when they lost to the Rangers this year. My favorite basketball team is the NJ Nets but my favorite players are Kobe Bryant and Stephen Curry. As for football, my team is the Atlanta Falcons but I barely get to see them because they don't play in our network.

I am hoping for a great freshman year on and off the court and it should be a great 4 years to come!